Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A moment on the lips, forever on the hips?


Another good day in Sudbury.


So, I've decided to get my ass in shape, so I joined the Good Life today - and I don't mean that in the philosophical sense...I joined Good Life Fitness. There's one pretty close to me here in Sudbury and there are approximately 3 or 4 billion of them around where I'll be living in downtown Toronto in the fall. So awesome thing is that it's way cheaper to join in Sudbury than in Toronto. Also, i get a corporate discount through the hospital and I also got the first 2 months free! The trade off though, I guess, is that i got suckered into getting a personal trainer package that includes 6 sessions. Basically, that evens out out my two free months, but I rationalized that I don't really know what I'm doing at the gym, and I might as well learn how to do things correctly. The great thing is that my membership is good anywhere in Canada, and there are tons on fitness classes i can take if I don't wanna just do weights. So, I guess all I need to do now is make sure that I make use of this. I got a one year membership, so next to my job, this is the biggest commitment I have in my life right now.


After I signed my life away (I keep on thinking that in a few months from now I'm gonna be like Chandler - "I want to quit the gym! I want to quit the gym!") I went to meet N and a friend of hers for some dinner at Cafe Korea downtown or technically "New Sudbury", I guess. I ordered some Bibimbop and an unagi handroll. For a drink, I ordered "BongBong" because it sounds funny and sorta sounds like my last name, but unfortunately they ran out. I had to settle for a green tea aloe drink. The food was pretty good, but what was really amazing was the fact that the restaurant was connected to an Asian grocery store! YES!!!


During dinner, I kept on looking to see if I could catch a glance at what they had. But, alas, I had to wait until after dinner was over to check out the goods. Ohh...it was worth the wait! They had a bunch of different food from all over Asia, from Japan, China, Indonesia, Thailand, India, Malaysia, etc. But, oh yes, there was Filipino food! More like Filipi-YES!


(Disclaimer: for those who don't know much about Filipino food, this may not be that interesting for you) The first thing I found was Tamarind Soup Base, a.k.a Sinigang. I've never made it before, but I figure now's a good time to start. The next thing I found, which I've never seen before, was a bottle of calamansi, which is a citrus fruit (by the way, it's really good with patis, a.k.a. fish sauce). But, the best was saved for last...the piece de resistance...the cream of the crop...LONGANISA!!! I've said it once, and I'll say it again: you haven't lived 'til you've had Filipino sausage! With garlic fried rice and an over-easy egg...YUMMERS!!!


I was also able to get some rice, and some frozen dim sum for those lazy days when I want to eat, but not really cook. I love this place! I mean, it's actually not that amazing, but for Sudbury, this is the closest thing to culinary familiarity. I'll probably be back again soon just to check to see if they get anything new. Apparently the longanisa is from Toronto. That explains why it's a sort of expensive, but who cares?...work is paying for it and longanisa is an essential. And I can feel a bit more guilt free for eating all this since I can burn it all...errr, most of it...off at the gym now.


C'est tout! I'll blog again tomorrow after my first rehearsal. Like me, I hope you all have calamansi wishes and longanisa dreams...okay, that sounds sorta gross, but I'm sticking with it nonetheless.

1 comment:

Cheryl Anne said...

After our conversation, I ended up heading to the the Filipino store on Main near the house and picked up some longanisa and tosino, to go along with the pandesal I had originally intended to only buy. Yummers!

Did you see the fat content on those little things! 19g per two pieces. Yikes! You better only cook up a portion at a time!

Having said that, I ate 3 in one sitting with a load of steamed rice.

At least you've got some Personal Training in the works!