Thursday, July 10, 2008

I am 16 going on 17...


...well, now it's more like 25 going on 26...yikes!


25 years old. I used to remember laughing at my sisters when they reached that age, and here I am [sigh].


Well, today was actually a good day. Today (well, I guess it's technically yesterday now) was my first day of work at the hospital and it was my first day of the next 25 years of my life. I won't bore you with the details of work, but it went really well. Everyone is super nice, and warm, and caring, and fun. I had a great time and I think I'll get along with the staff really well. I was a bit anxious, but when I'll be hanging out on the unit next week, I think I'll be pretty comfortable.


After work, my boss came by to check up on where I'll be staying for the next few months and she's really glad everything worked out the way it did. I'm close by and C is really great.


When i got back from work, C, her daughter and I went out to dinner to celebrate my quarter century mark. We went to a diner-ish place. Sorta feels like Denny's, but with a better menu. I had some surf and turf action (steak and some deep-friend prawns...yum!). I also got free cake and a bunch of waitresses awkwardly singing to C until she gestured to them that it's actually my birthday. I don't really care who you sing to, as long as i get my free piece of cake!!! Well, it was actually pie - Chocolate French Silk....yummers!


Then we went to Blockbuster and rented a couple of movies - 10,000B.C. and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. I watched former with C, and then spent the rest of the evening writing some field notes and then now I'm writing my blog.


All in all I think it was a very successful day. I wouldn't say overly exciting, but successful. And let's face it, I'm 25 now, I guess i should take success when I can get it and leave excitement for when i was actually 16 going on 17. Well, that's not entirely true...I'm hoping to have an exciting weekend in Toronto. Woohoo! I leave tomorrow by bus and will be in Toronto by early evening.


I'm gonna keep this blog short tonight cuz old age is getting to me and I need to sleep. But, i want to thank everyone that called me, sent a text message, or posted on facebook. I really appreciate all the love and birthday greetings, especially since I'm all the way in Sudbury. Special shout outs to my parents that called me at 5:30am PST! I can't thank you enough, really. I actually was getting really moved by the floods of wall posts I got. It made me feel close to all my friends, even though I'm geographically far.


LOVE YOU ALL!


P.S. Apparently being 25 has also made me more emotional. Hmmm..maybe I'm going through the change. And on that note, time to go search for some Golden Girls episodes online before I go to bed :)


P.P.S. "Thank you for being a friend..."


3 comments:

Jessica said...

Yay birthday post! Sounds like C is very caring and lovely. That's so nice.

Something you might be interested in: sitemeter.com. It allows you to see how many hits you get to your blog, and even where in the world they're coming from! It's very cool and easy.

JJEN said...

ahhh, the tongue and cheek style of the blog is awesome rhomes. your fieldnotes - i feel like i'm there. wishing the old man would shut up, gawking at the sudbury sushi.. you're a natural for your job! :D cheers bud!

pipster said...

Isn't it rude for another girl to put "xxx, Cathy" on the facebook wall of someone else's boyfriend?

I mean, hooray! You're happy!

Why were you in Toronto on the weekend? And when are you back?
We missed you at Adam's party on Monday . . . and be sure we'll have a Toronto birthday make up party for you next time we're together!~