Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Explor-asian



It is humid here in Sudbury. And as most of you know, humidity and I are not friends. But I had a good night's sleep nonetheless. I also have 3 mosquito bites and counting. Could be worse, I guess.

In the morning, C and her daughter left for strawberry picking (I don't think this is a common thing...some outing related to her work). So, I had the house to myself. Took a shower (good water pressure) and dabbled on the piano. Watched some Ellen and decided it was time that I venture out into the streets of Sudbury on my own.



I walked to "Four Corners" which is what the locals call the intersection of Regent and Paris Street. My first order of business was to purchase deodorant, as I forgot to pack one of the TWO that I have in Toronto. And with all the humidity, that is a must. I also bought some bus tickets. It's sort of like the New York metrocard. I bought 2 5-Ride cards. Apparently I just swipe the card and it'll deduct with each ride I take. I also went to the bank (thankfully there's a TD close by).



Then it was time for lunch...and you all know that I'm a sucker for sushi! Yes, SUSHI in Sudbury! I thought, why not?! I live right next to the hospital. And to my surprise, it was actually pretty good. A little (well, a lot) expensive, though. With tax and tip, it cost me about 35 bucks! I did order a lot and doggy-bagged the rest. The miso soup was good (but that's hard to mess up) and the salad (which varies a lot by restaurant) was pretty good too. I also ordered oyako don. That was probably the weakest dish, but not bad at all. I ordered a seaweed salad and scallop nigiri. What really impressed me was the presentation - gorgeous! I didn't take any pics unfortunately, but they did a good job. The seaweed salad was served in a martini glass, and garnished with radish at the bottom, lemon, cucumber, avocado and a leaf which added height and grandeur. I know that a martini glass isn't really traditional Japanese, but it looked great. Good job, Umai.



And speaking of traditional Japanese, the chefs and the waitresses were actually Asian - go figure! There was one White waiter, but I was impressed the represent-asian...no imit-asian here!



So, I departed from the Japanese restaurant, doggy-bag in hand, and went across the street to Southridge Mall. And guess what...more Asians!!! AMAZING! Stereotypically, I spotted them at them working at the nail salon, but still, go diversity!





The mall isn't as small and crappy as I expected. It's still kinda small and crappy, but I expected worse. They have all the cell phone providers in there, a CIBC, Zellers, Dollarama (uber-important!), Sports Check, an Urban Planet and a Payless. That's also where the Goodlife is (shout out to Jess...I'll look into joining soon, I think). Then I walked across the street again and did some grocery shopping at the Food Basics. Got some stuff for breakfast (oatmeal, yogurt, and fruit) since I figure I won't be cooking lunch or dinner between now and when I go back to Toronto for the weekend. Then I walked back.



So, it's only a 15-minute walk to 'Four Corners". Not bad, not bad at all. I suppose i could take the bus, but it would be faster to walk since the bus comes every half-an-hour, or maybe even every hour...not sure. Anyway, I'm glad to be living so close to actual stores and restaurants!

I've come to the conclusion that Sudbury (or at least Southend of Sudbury where I am) is sort of like Scarborough, but White. I mean, there's a Food Basics and a Dollarama, just like Woodside Square in da'Borough. And it seems like things a re far away but you can easily walk to places. So, Sudbury doesn't feel too small town yet. It just feels like a suburb, with a lot of rock (like granite, not music) and lakes.



Later in the afternoon, C walked me over to the hospital. I literally step out, cross a small street and walk across the parking lot. I'm SO close to where I'll be working! She also showed me around Ramsey Lake, which is also right by the hospital. It's a beautiful walk, right by the water, lots of trees, small beaches with lifeguards, beautiful gardens. i didn't bring my camera, so I'll have to go back and take pictures. Also, it was a little overcast today. It sprinkled a bit this morning, so I wanna take some pics when it's nice and sunny out. I'm also excited to to Science North, which we passed by on our stroll.



So, tomorrow is my first day! It's really exciting...more exciting than turning 25. I'll be focusing on the former more than the latter I think. I guess it sorta sucks that I'm working and I'll be alone on my birthday, but I can ramble about that tomorrow. Anyway, I'm excited to see my sister and Montreal cousin when i go back to Toronto on Thursday. So, I'll have lots of time to celebrate the 25 years of my existence with my family very soon.



So, stay tuned for the Special Edition blog tomorrow talking about my first day and my birthday! I've been having trouble with the wireless here. Just today actually. I had no problems last night. I'm hooked up by cable now :( So hopefully I can figure out what's wrong with the wireless soon. But , at least there's internet! Where would be without that?!



Okay. See you next time on So You Think You Can Dance? Okay, I watch FOX too much. Damn you Simon Fuller and your semi-quality reality TV programming!

No comments: