Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Rehearsical Cats, Tenniscourtical Cats, Pilatical Cats, Haircutical Cats


I must apologize for the delay in coloblogging – it’s been a busy week and the Olympics being on in the middle of the night doesn’t help either :) So, I’ll give a short update cuz I did a lot of stuff, but I don’t feel like writing ALL of it down.

Any way, when I last left off, I had just played in the men’s indoor tennis league. Since then, I’ve had 4 rehearsals for BoB2 (aka Best of Broadway 2 Concert). The rehearsals have been going very well. We’ve already started blocking a bunch of the songs that we’ve had a vocal rehearsal on already. The most grueling vocal rehearsal thus far was for “Jellicle Songs for Jellicle Cats” from, you guessed it, Cats. Andrew Lloyd Webber is a PSYCHO! The music itself isn’t very difficult. We were able to get the harmonies rather quickly and it sounds amazing. But…it’s the words that we’re supposed to remember. There are TOO MANY CATS! And it goes pretty fast, so you have to make sure to enunciate (thank God for Gilbert & Sullivan, or I’d flub this up for sure!) For those of you who do not know the song that well, here’s a section of the song that I’m dreading to remember:
Practical cats, dramatical cats
Pragmatical cats, fanatical cats
Oratorical cats, delphioracle cats
Skeptical cats, dispeptical cats
Romantical cats, pedantical cats
Critical cats, parasitical cats
Allegorical cats, metaphorical cats
Statistical cats and mystical cats
Political cats, hypocritical cats
Clerical cats, hysterical cats
Cynical cats, rabbinical cats
Luckily, this is all in unison, so I don’t have to worry about harmony here. Theatre Cambrian actually did Cats a couple of years ago, so some of them know it (or at least used to know it). Today we’ll be doing “Supercalifragilistic” where we have to spell it, quickly, I might add, and in song – I’ll let you know how that goes.

Theatre Cambrian has also made its way into of my Sudbury social life – yes, I may actually have a social life here! A bunch of us met up on Saturday night for some drinks and some dancin’, so that was a lot of fun. We had to do some bar hopping cuz the first place we went to was busy and the patio was basically flooded due to a big rainstorm. I actually had been there previously with N and I think I saw one of her friends there, so it’s kinda neat that I’m actually starting to recognize people in town. And I also met a friend of hers that night, and I didn’t even know it until N and I realized it later. So, yeah, it was good times. What made it even better was that I was able to get a ride home too! I think I had the equivalent of at least a pitcher of beer and ended up passing out in front of the TV watching the Olympics when I got back home, where C had already fallen asleep.

Yesterday I went back to the tennis league and met some more people – yay! For some reason, we had a rehearsal last night, instead of Thursday, but I was able to leave early to catch the league at 8pm. And I actually won a match!!!! AMAZING!!! There’s a time limit to each match (half an hour) and my partner for the third session (we constantly switch partners too) won 5-2. The awesome thing is that the team we beat was totally expecting to cream us. For me, I’m still trying to get back to my form from a few years ago and so, yes, I’ve been a bit shaky. And my partner is not the youngest, nor is he the slimmest guy out on the court. He’s a really nice guy, likes to talk after points, which I like and he’s very congratulatory, but I thought I sweat a lot! He was a wearing a grey t-shirt (you gotta know that’s not a good colour for you if you sweat – I mean c’mon!) and it was already soaked, and his face was all red, huffing and puffing. And so the two young dudes who are really good (i.e. serve uber fast and all that jazz) decided to pair up together instead each of them pairing up with either me or Sweaty McPufferson. But, to all of our surprise, he’s REALLY GOOD! He serves really well, and has great groundstrokes and volleys. I guess the only area he lacks in is his mobility. But, I held up my end of the bargain, running balls down, I had a bunch of return winners, some great volley exchanges at the net that warranted some high fives, so I was playing pretty well too. And to put the icing on the cake, I was serving great as well. I had a bunch of unreturnable serves and even an ace, up Tin the ad court, causing the receiver to say, “Are you kidding me?” to his partner. So, all in all, I’m feeling a lot better about my game, even though I still need to play a lot more tennis to feel totally comfortable again.

I also met a dude there – and he's Asian…what?!?!? – who also just moved to Sudbury from Toronto – craziness! I think he’s about my age, and he’s an engineer. doing work here for a bit and then going back like me. He too goes back to Toronto all the time, but I think he has actually gone back every weekend since he’s been here. And the really nice thing is when he saw me walking to the bus station he pulled over to give me ride. Isn’t that the best, when you unexpectedly get a ride? Without sounding like too much of a desperate loser, there’s another friend possibility there :) Also, there’s another Asian dude at the club who introduced himself to me at the end of the night, as we didn’t get a chance to play with/against each other.
I took my first class at Goodlife last week. I took “Body Flow”, which is a mix of Tai Chi, Yoga and Pilates. I’ve never done any of that stuff before and it was pretty good I guess. It was a little too, how do I put this?...floofy and froo-froo for me. There was a bit much “take your ball of energy”, “look up at the moon” and “find your centre” crap that I didn’t really get into. But, other than that, I liked it. I especially liked how the last 8 minutes were left for meditation, or as I like to call it, break time! Tomorrow I meet with my personal trainer for the first time. Sorta nervous, I gotta admit. I just don’t wanna be yelled at! I know he PROBABLY won’t do that, but I guess I’m just psyching myself out. I do a lot better with encouragement with some constructive criticism.

I also got my haircut on Saturday. I went to apparently the best salon in Sudbury. The guy who owns it is apparently really famous and has won all these awards and competitions. So, it turned out well, although…she was new-ish. She’s really nice and we chatted the whole time, but she kinda cut out a chunk of hair at the back of my head! Well, it was more like she accidentally cut an area shorter than the rest, after just talking about how if you go to the $10-places, they’ll make all these mistakes cuz they rush. She was able to fix it, but still! Anyway, with that being said, I’ll most likely go back, and I wouldn’t even mind getting her again. She did the rest of my hair great and since the mishap was at the back of my head, I can’t really see it, so, meh…who cares. I do think she felt bad though, cuz she ended up giving me the student rate. She said, “You said you were a student, right?” I replied, “No.” But she gave me a student rate anyway. So, with tax and tip, it was only 30 bucks, and I got a shampoo and styling too. (FYI: at Aveda, you get a massage, shampoo, cut and style for less!)

So, that’s been my week since you all last heard from me. I’m sure I missed some stuff, but oh well. Off to rehearsal again tonight, the gym tomorrow, and who knows what for the weekend.
P.S. Canada better start kicking Olympic ass soon! I woke up at 2:30 in the morning today to watch Canada not win a medal.

No comments: