Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Fish & Trips




Last Thursday I made a last minute decision to go to Toronto for the long weekend. I wasn't planning on this as I've already been back to Toronto twice since coming to Sudbury, and another trip back would mean 3 out 4 weekends I've had since coming here have been spent in Toronto. Oh well! But I decided to rent a car this time instead taking the greyhound (this decision had NOTHING to do with the murder that occurred last week - it still immensely disturbs me though). By renting a car, it would give a chance to check out some of the areas around Sudbury that are inaccessible otherwise.




So, I picked up my rental on Saturday morning. They were kind enough to pick me up before they even opened (Enterprise is only open from 9am-12pm on Saturdays). I got a Pontiac G5. It's a pretty good car - drives smoothly - but the only that was lacking was no power locks and no power windows. Oh well - it's better than the bus!




So, I made it to Toronto in pretty good time - about 4 hours including a stop for gas and to use the washroom. So, it only really took me about 3:45 hours to get there. When I get back the the 'borough, I eat some lunch and contemplate going to the Caribana parade. i finally decide against it after mulling it over repeatedly, as it was just too much work to get all the way to downtown and either try t subway/streetcar there or find parking. So, I decided to take a nap, treat my aunt to some pho for dinner and then hung out with my two cousins and one of their friends at Boston Pizza, throwing back schooners!...Rickards White...yum!




The next day. after dropping off my aunt somewhere at 9am and fitting in a much-needed session of tennis with my couz' (more on that later), I rushed back to take a shower and ended up getting my other cousin to drive the rental car (and me, of course) downtown. I met up with my soci crew for brunch/lunch (on time!...go figure) at Brownstones on Yonge St. Had me some Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict (Fish #1), some orange juice, and pleasantly familiar banter with my friends.




Next, is was off to Caribana on Olympic Island! It was a bit crowded on the ferry, but at least they were coming every 15 minutes. We got to the island, and to our dismay, there was an admission fee to get into the Caribana section. Not that expensive, but out of blue, plus we already paid for $6.50 for the ferry ride. Anyway, when we got there, it was actually a little disappointing. There was a main stage with performances that was cool. But, I just expected a lot more stuff. Maybe the are was just so big that it made it seem unspectacular, but I was underwhelmed. There were only a few vendors and food options, and I think there were even more sponsor tents than anything else (although....Scotiabank was giving out pens and purified water all day and I got a sweet temporary tattoo and Olympic games schedule from CBC).




Now as, for the food, I HAD to get something. So, I decided to line up for the Fish Shak and get me some Caribbean fried fish (Fish #2). The lineup was a bit long, but I knew it was gonna be worth it....or was it!?!?!




TWO HOURS!!! Two hours we waited in line. After the first half hour we figured that we had already waited this long so we might as well stay. Then an hour had passed, then one and a half. With each passing moment of time, we were clinging to the hope that the line would move just a bit faster. We passed the time by playing charades and some stupid "snaps" game (yes! stupid!!!). Finally, at the 1:50 hour mark, we get close to the front of the line, close enough to see the uselessness and unorganized nature of this business. OMIGOD!!! All the food was there and they were constantly cooking. I don't understand why they didn't have a better system of giving us our food. As my friend pointed out, they needed to learn a lesson from Henry Ford. They would go back on forth, putting lids on top of the other food thereby eliminating the chance for the other server to get food from there. It was awful! I wanted to punch them in the face!




So, I finally got my food - butter fish, deep fried, with an organic salad, plantains, rice with a curry gravy on top and a side of fish cakes - YUM! It was really good (except for the salad that was flavourless). It was definitely worth the 13 bucks. As for the 2 hours though?...I'd say it was worth a 45-minute wait, if that.




By the time I got my food, it was 6pm and we decided to walk back (it took up the whole afternoon basically and it was sort of lame so we left) through Centreville and took the ferry back so I could meet my cousin who finished work at 7 and drive back together. Hung out in Scarborough, we ordered in some pizza and wings (oh god! Goodlife, I need you!).




Then, I left for Sudbury in the morning, at about 9am. I got to Sudbury just before 1pm, picked up N and drove just over an hour to Killarney. One of the first things that people told me to do while in town was go to Killarney for the best fish and chips in the region (Fish #3).




We got to the small town (population 500 i.e. 1/3 of the size of my high school) and decided to walk around first before stuffing our faces with fried fish. We parked at the LCBO, which was open! We decided o make it a real classy afternoon, so we went in, bought a tall boy of Keith's each, emptied out our water bottles and poured beer in to make public drinking more of a possibility. A little spilling later (it's hard getting beer into a Dasani bottle), we walked around and took in the gorgeous view - with the lake, the sun, the trees, it was amazing!




We made our way back to get fish and chips. It was only a 30 minute wait there - it was pretty busy though, but we got a seat and enjoyed our wondrous food! SO GOOD! I'm not an a-FISH-ionado or anything, but it was damn good! Really light batter and great homemade fries - yes!




But that wasn't all. I decided to get some ice cream too! I was gonna get cotton candy (of course - I love it!) and the sugarless maple. N talked me out of it and so I decided to get the maple walnut as my second scoop on a waffle cone. Good decision. After N grabbed some coffee and a cinnamon bun, it was on the road again and back to Sudbury.




All in all, another great weekend, but Caribana was a bit disappointing. I'll make the effort to go to the parade next year, as i think that will meet my expectations. And the weekend was all about fish - so good!




That's all for now. I had a busy, tiring day, but I'm too tired to write about it now. It was my tennis adventure this evening, but you'll have to stay tuned...

1 comment:

Cheryl Anne said...

a-FISH-ionado! Double m!m

I thought you decided against going to Caribana, then suddenly to write you going there.

Too much fish, me thinks.